Friday, January 29, 2010

Revenge of the list

I could go on and on about how how much I loooooooove lists. Lists organize, prioritize, give a sense of accomplishment, provide motivation. My love affair with lists will never end. But today I discovered that they can also drive a person friggin' bat ess crazy.
I attended a workshop this week where I took some notes on a handout, as well as in my padfolio. The handout contained some interesting points that I'll surely use in the future. But in my padfolio I found this list:
  • Red stars
  • Skull smoking cig
  • Scorpion
  • Dice
  • Heart with thorns bleeding
  • Blood drops on claws
  • Naked woman
  • Fleur de lis
  • Swordfish
  • Cross
  • Roses
  • Amor heart
  • Horseshoe
  • Shark
  • Beetle
  • Sword thru skull
  • Bird
People, tell me what the EFF that list could possibly mean! What in the world do those things have in common, and what the hell was I doing writing them in my padfolio? I stared, blankly, at the list for minutes. MINUTES. And then suddenly it dawned on me. (Ready for the big reveal? Sitting on edge? Nah, me neither) This is a list of items I saw on the fabric of a tote bag hung on the chair in front of me. I (now) clearly remember thinking, "It's times like this I wish I owned a camera phone." Because words alone cannot describe the oddity of this tote. I studied the tote for quite a while, examining the stitching to see if this was perhaps a homemade creation. Which would make sense, in my opinion. But as far as I could tell, this woman actually purchased this bag at a retail location. I quickly jotted down the list of items on the fabric, trying to cover my writing all, "I'm in third grade and don't want anyone copying off my spelling test," lest my fellow workshop attendees see what I'm writing and refuse to network with me afterward, saying under their breath, "WEIRDO." (Because that's what life is all about, apparently. Avoiding the term "weirdo.") After I had the list thoroughly documented, I closed my padfolio and became distracted by thoughts of making my own non-weirdo tote the coming weekend. Yeah, with all that extra time I have on my hands. HA.
Happy Friday, everyone. And since I'm a lemming (and wouldn't mind having a Bumbleride for me-self), hop on over to Feisty Frugal & Fabulous to enter to win a new Bumbleride Indie stroller!

No comments:

Post a Comment